Thursday, February 20, 2020

fave albums of all time (1995 version)

Asked to vote in Mojo's Greatest Albums of All Time, here is what I decided then

Needless to say the list would be different in marked ways today, first with inclusions from the last 22 years but also rethinkings and refeelings of 60s / 70s / 80s. More postpunk, more glam (mystified by the non-appearance of Low for instance), more prog / post-psychedelic (where's Rock Bottom?)-  more electronica / rave and post-rave .... more electronic concrete avant-garde experimental...  more Jamaica...  . more non-West music (King Sunny Ade would figure for instance)... more ambient, more cosmic synth .... more hard/heavy rock. There are also reissue packages and compilations that have subsequently come to exist or I've encountered that would figure e.g. the MBV EPs comp, or King Tubby's Special.

That said everything on here is incontestable and would make a Top 100, possibly in slightly demoted or elevated positions. .

1/ THE STOOGES-- FUNHOUSE
2/ VAN MORRISON -- ASTRAL WEEKS
3/ THE SEX PISTOLS --- NEVER MIND THE BOLLOCKS
4/ CAN --- SOON OVER BABALUMA
5/ MY BLOODY VALENTINE -- ISN'T ANYTHING
6/ LOVE --- FOREVER CHANGES
7/ PUBLIC IMAGE LIMITED --- METAL BOX
8/ MILES DAVIS --- BITCHES BREW
9/ ROLLING STONES --- LET IT BLEED (mainly for 'Gimme Shelter')
10/ THE SLITS --- CUT
11/ THE SMITHS -- THE SMITHS
12/ HUSKER DU --- ZEN ARCADE
13/ FAUST -- FAUST IV
14/ THE BYRDS --- YOUNGER THAN YESTERDAY
15/ CAN --- TAGO MAGO
16/ JIMI HENDRIX --- ARE YOU EXPERIENCED
17/ THE BIRTHDAY PARTY --- PRAYERS ON FIRE
18/ THROWING MUSES -- IST LP
19/ PRINCE --- SIGN O' THE TIMES
20/ ROXY MUSIC --- FOR YOUR PLEASURE
21/ A.R. KANE --- 69
22/ LED ZEPPELIN --- IV
23/ APHEX TWIN --- SELECTED AMBIENT WORKS 1985-92
24/ PUBLIC ENEMY---FEAR OF A BLACK PLANET
25/ MEAT PUPPETS --- MEAT PUPPETS II
26/ JOHN MARTYN--- SOLID AIR
27/ SONIC YOUTH --- DAYDREAM NATION
28/ NEU! --- NEU! '75
29/ THE BAND --- THE BAND
30/ TRICKY ---MAXINQUAYE

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is really interesting and all albums are great or masterpieces. With The Birthday Party I would choose Junkyard - it's more concrete in it's attack, homogenous in sound of course, but I works in it's favour. Absence of Rock Bottom is really suprising! Personally, I would put in definitely in my top 3, if not at first place. Daydream Nation would be much higher also - easily in top 10 I think. Funhouse also in my top 10, if not top 5 - this record is just fucking unbeatable. Would You still choose it as your number one?

SIMON REYNOLDS said...

I probably would still pick Funhouse as #1. Certainly the first side is just unbeatable. Raw Power has its moments as does the first album, but as a slab of mounting intensity and then aftermath, Funhouse first side is just the ultimate.

SIMON REYNOLDS said...

I'm not sure I'd heard Rock Bottom when I did this chart! I think I had some kind of Robert Wyatt best of. Or perhaps I had heard it but it just slipped my mind. Solid Air and One World should be higher or included. Yes Junkyard is more intense and overwhelming, I'm just fonder of the songs and the variety on Prayers on Fire, although the whole Idea of Birthday Party has faded and lost its bewitchment over time. On the other hand, the Idea of Sonic Youth - which is something to do with being ultracool hipsters, almost a neo-Beat thing - that never really appealed to me or spoke to me. Daydream and Sister are the undeniable sonic achievements, where any reservations are brushed aside.

Anonymous said...

"Daydream and Sister are the undeniable sonic achievements, where any reservations are brushed aside" - couldn't put it more beautifully. And you pick also my favorite Public Enemy record - everyone puts It takes a nation... (it's brilliant of course), but I think Fear is a little more accomplished. And I'm getting warmer to your idea that Isn't Anything is really the masterpiece of My Bloody Valentine - certainly equal to Loveless. And I love that you choose Zen Arcade - probably greatest hardcore punk record of all time. Btw, your articles on Husker Du are so lovely.

Anonymous said...

And your story with Rock Bottom - I was certain that you known this record then! Also confession - thanks to you i've jumped to wagon named John Martyn - Solid Air and One World are masterpieces.