Thursday, June 1, 2023

fave theorists

 Roland Barthes, The Pleasure of the Text is probably my favoritest. A joy to read, broken up in nice little aphoristic short sections, a mind rearranger for me aged whenever it was (21?). A Lover's Discourse is wonderful too - similar style and structure - but less applicable to other things as Pleasure, as it is so focused on romantic love. Then there's that hardy perennial, "The Grain of the Voice". Mythologies, I still remember certain perceptions - the chapter about the court case against the allegedly murderous farmer, the literary way the prosecution wielded rhetoric against the simple-speaking man.... the stuff about strip teases, about wrestling.. 

Jean Baudrillard wrote about 50 books (I've not counted but that's what it feels like). Yet - and this is just a hunch - I suspect the kernel of most everything is contained in this fantastic short essay, "The Ecstasy of Communication".  Which must have been written in the late 70s or early 80s but in a feat of unintentional prophecy explains the internet and its effect on culture and psychology. (The other things I've read, I found overly abstract - a lot of sweeping assertions ("power no longer exists" - hmmm, you think so Jean?) 

One of JB's books in that highly fetish-able Semiotext(e) Foreign Agents series of black pocket-sized volumes was titled Forget Foucault - which always tickled me, the French-crit-theory equivalent of a diss track. But I could never forget Michel Foucault - the prose is arid next to Barthes, but the ideas have so many applications. The History of Sexuality Vol. 1 is not a sexy read, but it rearranged my mind - put out of contention, out of their misery, all those lingering Sixties ideas about Eros as inherently revolutionary. The Archaelogy of Knowledge is tough going - it's extremely abstract, he proffers even less in the way of evidential support than Baudrillard. A grim grinding slog, to be honest - until the final chapter, styled as a dialogue between ice-veined Michel and an imaginary humanist interlocutor whose objections are patiently and remorselessly demolished. It ends with a wonderful flourish of chilling anti-humanist rhetoric. I struggled resolutely through the whole thing during my lunch breaks while working a summer job in a factory, packing aerosols of fly-spray. This final chapter felt like the pay-off.





















My brother Jez "riveted" by The Archaelogy of Knowledge 

Foucault was a better interviewee than a writer and the anthology of dialogues Power / Knowledge is a very good way in.

Julia Kristeva made a big impression on me with The Powers of Horror: An Essay on Abjection... and a medium-sized impression with Black Sun and the book about love. She's slogging on, does a book every few years, seemingly with zero impact. 

Can't forget Gilles Deleuze & Felix Guattari - their concepts seemed to have a lot of applications to music and music culture at one point. Now, I'm a little befuddled as to their use value - in any context. 

Paul Virilio - Mark Fisher hated Virilio, or found him extremely frustrating. And it's true, there's little in the way of sustained linear development of argument - the text jumps around all over the place. A paragraph ends and the next one is a complete non-sequitur. Sometimes the next sentence is a non-sequitur.  Fragmentary and disjointed as it is, though, I found a fair amount to ransack and redeploy in his work, in particular with The Aesthetics of Disappearance.  Like Baudrillard (and Kristeva), another one of these extremely productive, churn-out-a-book a year almost, types. A lot of reiteration (and self-cannibalism maybe).

Georges Bataille. Got Visions of Excess in hardback - a copy without a dust jacket, going cheap. Mad stuff.  It seemed then to have all kinds of applications to what I was listening to at exactly the point of reading, which was the Butthole Surfers!  But the one that really has proved enduringly useful is the three volumes of  The Accursed Share, his relatively straightforward and analytic book about economics and human psychology. (At one point I had loose leaf pages of all the Acephale writings, I think an advance copy had come into Joy's possession when she was a book's editor. I chucked those out eventually, though. Can't be grappling with an unbound book). 

Now I have read some really interesting books in the last decade or so - things that have sent me down unexpected thought-paths  - but they tend to be more like obscure scholarly works, discovered through project-oriented research. They don't really fit the category of  "Cultural Theory", and nor are they the kind of stuff that is setting the pace in academia nowadays. Things like Jonas Barish's The Antitheatrical Prejudice, Daniel Patrick O'Keefe's Stolen Lightning: The Social Theory of Magic (that one a Phil Knight tip), Ernest Becker's The Denial of Death (which you can see the Woody Allen character suggesting as some light reading for Annie Hall in the scene below - what a dick!), Esther Newton's Mother Camp, Donald Meyer's book about the history of Positive Thinking, Daniel J. Boorstin's The Image.... 



But nothing hits you quite as hard as when you're young and mind-malleable. You're hungry, then - and an indiscriminate forager for mind-food. 

So for me it would be the French lot, largely. In the late '80s, early '90s, it also seemed to work really well with what was going in music at that time. Or at least it was irresistible for me to glom one onto the other, and there seemed to be a fit, or a friction that created a spark.

And it had style as writing - whereas much that has followed in later phases 'n crazes of theory (cyber-theory, postcolonial, queer theory, affect) is dry and often rather tortuous. There also seems to be a common style of taking very particular texts as a starting point- an obscure poem, or a film or a photograph - and using that as a prism from which to zoom out. (As opposed to a macro vision, that sweeps up a lot of evidence to support its sweeping claims). I find this zoom-out-from-something-small approach often feels a tad tenuous; it requires your credence to support itself on something that might just be a rather particular and private obsession. Which is fine for blogs (I do it all the time, obviously - reading massive significance into something minor and obscure) but seems less so for a bound book of scholarly argument.

Strangely though, much as I love all that French stuff still, and if my eye happens to fall on a patch of it I'll slip very easily into being as swayed as ever by it, thinking it Truth... it doesn't seem to have much explanatory power with current popular culture, little in the way of resonance or purchase.... 

What does? Affect theory, maybe. Although probably in terms of the 'what's hot' stakes in academia, that might possibly already be a bit passe. 


Other fave thinkers and theorists:

Harold Bloom, mostly for The Anxiety of Influence - so so useful -  but I do like to marinate in his windy locutions about the Western canon. 

Susan Sontag, mostly for "Against Interpretation" and "Notes on Camp" and "Fascinating Fascism"

Dick Hebdige, mostly for Subculture: The Meaning of Style

Simon Frith

Norman O. Brown

JG Ballard

Klaus Theweleit

Brian Eno 

Nietzsche 

Fred Vermorel

Joe Carducci

E.M. Cioran

Oscar Wilde 

I suppose I would have to say Guy Debord and Raoul Vaneigem, they had a huge impact on the unformed moi (although as a model for living, or a practical politics -  I'm unconvinced, these days. The analysis of boredom and alienation seems perennial up to a point, although the idea that watching TV or films or spectactor sports is necessarily passive and isolated is woefully uninformed - typical snobby outlook that comes from living inside a purely literary culture, there's that disdain for the mass medium and thus an ignorance of the possibilities for sharing that exist in the collective enjoyment of this stuff - all the ways in which we literally make fun together out of this supposedly unilinearly-imposed pablum).

Fredric Jameson (although it's a bit of a slog, a tad arid, as prose - loves a long sentence, loves to use punctuation). (What isn't a slog - and actually is easily my favorite of his things, is the short book on Wyndham Lewis, Fables of Aggression

Lee Edelman, No Future: Queer Theory and The Death Drive.  Kind of an unhinged book - in a weird way it reminded me of the mindset I'd managed to get into circa Blissed Out, this apocalyptic-nihilistic bliss-as-ego-death mysticism. But reached through a completely different angle:  Leo Bersani's  radical negativity, opposition to all breeders (aka "reproductive futurism"). (Disappointing to discover that Edelman has been married to a fellow scholar for decades - but then who of us really lives out our principles?) 

Talking of apocalyptic-nihilistic I'm afraid I would have to give the nod to N. Land's Bataille-book The Thirst For Annihilation. There's something about the anti-life, anti-human, anti-everything mindspace that has an unleashing effect on the prose. 

Camille Paglia - Sexual Personae. One of those books where it's the prose and the force of personality that is utterly swaying in the moment of reading. You get a high off the vehemence.  

Recent years: 

Berardi's After the Future

A couple of things by Nicolas Bourriaud, e.g. The Radicant

Alan Kirby's Digimodernism


I'm sure I'm forgetting many brain-rearrangers

(And I'm not including probably the most influential thinkers - the rock critics and music writers. No need to reel out that pantheon again).

I will say though that an awful lot of the theory and academic stuff I've read over the years - the preponderance of it, honestly - has left no trace whatsoever - no ideas-trace, and no memory-of-pleasure trace either. 

So in a way, maybe nowadays I'm "after theory" - I've taken in enough fuel, transmuted and distorted it, that I can now sustain my trajectory, for my remaining years. That has not stopped me, however, from repeat-visiting this site I came across recently and downloading a couple of hundred titles -  books that will almost certainly never be read, pdfs that in many cases will never even get opened. So clearly some kind of theory-itch remains, a vestigial limb from those young hungry days.  


Overrated

Derrida - I've found little of use to me in there, really. And there's a lot of fannying about and irritating play with words. Spectres of Marx is a disparate collation of meditations on quite far-flung subjects. Each component seem to relate to the other ones only tangentially.  It's also extremely short. Now I'm not a believer in length per se - but you definitely get a bit of  a "will this do?" whiff from it.  Yet equally you also feel it could have been briefer still - vastly more succinct. In terms of actual ideas, it could have been boiled down to a few pages.  

Archive Fever - the title is a wonderfully poetic, mind-triggering phrase, but the book (another very slim effort) is actually about something else altogether than what you think (or at least, what I thought it was going to be about). There's stuff about circumcision. And the closing chapter is Jacques having an intellectual tussle with an obscure scholar of Judaism, who's written a book about Freud in which he tries to insinuate that psychoanalysis is a Jewish science. Although Jewish himself, Derrida's not having this. Yes, it's that esoteric. 

Lyotard - some great phrases ("the desire called Marx") but very hard going indeed. Extracted very little of use for my particular purposes. 

Haraway - I suppose the cyborg woman essay is a classic. I tried with the OncoMouse TM one, but had to give up after 8 pages. Same with the one about dogs as companion species. Kinda felt "look, I get it - you're a dog person. But there's no book to write here". (And in fact it's exceedingly short - a monograph). Reminded me a bit of my first girlfriend's dad, who used to talk to his dog when out walking him, confide all his problems and grievances. (Necessarily he was a good listener, this dog). He would pay tribute to his canine companion, say things like "'there's people in this town who aren't fit to lick my dog's bumhole!"


Never got to 

Bourdieu

Marcuse

McLuhan

Blanchot

Zizek

Badiou

Wittgenstein

Too many others

8 comments:

Stylo said...

I once read a quote by Baudrillard, noting that Nietzsche, Bataille, Artaud and someone I can't remember had been betrayed, in that they had been subsumed into the academia they had despised. Baudrillard clearly had the same mentality, yet in a jollier, rather healthier manner. I tend to think of Baudrillard as more a wit than anything, a classification I think would please him more than most.

In a somewhat similar manner, and this is coming from a Bataille obsessive (you have to be to tackle a book with the title "The Unfinished System of Nonknowledge"), I view Bataille's philosophy as scaffolding for his aesthetic, rather than his aesthetic decorating his philosophy. What could be more excessive to an aesthetic of excess than developing a philosophy of excess as an excessive buttress?

And that whole notion of a subordinate ideology has certain parallels in Nietzsche's work. I've always thought the concept of the Übermensch was never a major or even minor part of his philosophy, but was a joke in one book that got a bit out of hand. In any case, Nietzsche, Bataille and Baudrillard all revelled in mischief.

Stylo said...

I forgot to say: Wittgenstein is clearly the greatest philosopher of the twentieth century. At the very least, the greatest stylist of twentieth-century philosophical writing.

SIMON REYNOLDS said...

Yes I regret never having got round to him. The quotes I've seen always made it seem attractive.

Plus there's the Scritti song that has the wisecrack lyric, "it's as true / as the Tractatus" (I think the song is "Gettin', Havin' and Holdin'" on Songs To Remember). That's a real thigh slapper for the philosophy fans.

Seem to remember watching a doc on Wittgenstein that referred to him having two great forms of release that allowed him to switch off his brain - he loved mystery novels, whodunnits, got totally absorbed in them. Also he liked to go the front row of a movie theater, so that he'd be utterly overwhelmed by the screen.

Stylo said...

Yes, in cineastic terms Wittgenstein was an especial fan of Carmen Miranda. I don't think that has much impact on the idea of meaning as use, or on the multiplicity of language games demonstrating forms of life.

I'm slightly disappointed that you didn't reply to my comment on Nietzsche, Bataille and Baudrillard. I wrote the Wittgenstein one after a night out. I agree with it, but I was smashed at the time.

SIMON REYNOLDS said...

I'm not sure if I'd call what Bataille's about "mischief' - it's a bit more demented than that, surely?

The philosophy and the literary output are coming from the same source - his pathology, his fixations and compulsions. I don't think one takes precedence over the other.

Everyone gets neutered and dessicated by academia, it's not unique to those three (although does seem particularly jarring and missing-the-point with them, true) (The fourth name? Jarry maybe?). Matthew Fuller had a good quote about the syndrome, how Deleuze & Guattari had been turned into the most "saintly discourse".

The Land book on Bataille is a great - and rare - example of the opposite, where the "study" is just as - or even more - delirious and insane than the subject. A case perhaps of this syndrome which I think goes on with any really "strong" (in Bloomian terms) reading of the work of a hallowed precursor - a sort of rivalry, a desire to out-do it, beat it at its own game.

Anonymous said...

This is great. I’m resident Bourdieu right know and he is quite illuminating. I’ve got also on my shelf few Badiou books so in near future i will jump into them. Blanchot is great. Really major. He in in league with Bataille. Love Deleuze and Guattari - is crazy and beautiful at the same time. Barthes is waiting for his turn. And others you mentioned are also great or good.

And now you just have to do favorite novels. I’m really curious about it. Your science fiction list got some juicy titles.

Anonymous said...

Typo - i’m reading not residing*

William said...

Wittgenstein blew my mind when I was doing A-Levels, but I think you have to be young for his writings to 'change the way you think'. He was also clearly a charismatic figure (like Foucault became) and that can be hard to sperate out from the actual philosophy.

The Bourdieu books and essays I've read were interesting, but I really don't think he was a 'Cultural Theorist' - the American academy wanted him to be one, and he started to lean that way in the 80s (doing a book of interviews like Foucault).

Guy Debord - on David K Wayne's suggestion I read Comments on the Society of the Spectacle; changed my view of him completely. One of the most perceptive books about media and politics of that era. Also he was supposedly a fan of English beer.